February 26, 2023
Why you should eat pistachios: benefits and properties
Since 2007, February 26th has been celebrated as World Pistachio Day. In the calendar of international days, you can find all kinds of important dates and this delicious nut had to have its own day. Pistachios are a nut with multiple health benefits that are recommended to be included in your diet for a balanced diet. Experts recommend eating pistachios to achieve a balanced diet.
Pistachios are one of the nuts with the most properties, containing healthy fats that provide numerous benefits to the body. To convince you of all the good things this nut has to offer, you should start by knowing that pistachios are rich in plant proteins and minerals such as phosphorus, magnesium, and potassium. According to experts, pistachios are the ideal complement to snack on between meals and can be an alternative to much less healthy tempting foods.
Properties of pistachios
Pistachios are one of the healthiest nuts because they contain the perfect balance of nutrients: carbohydrates, proteins, amino acids, fats, and dietary fiber. According to the Spanish Nutrition Foundation, pistachios are a very calorie-dense food. Regarding minerals, they are a source of calcium, magnesium, zinc, potassium, phosphorus, and iron. For example, a serving of pistachios covers 15% of the recommended daily intake of phosphorus, a mineral that contributes to the maintenance of bones under normal conditions.
As for vitamins, pistachios are a source of thiamine, vitamin E, and folates. Thiamine and folates contribute to normal psychological function while vitamin E contributes to the protection of cells against oxidative damage. They also provide other vitamins such as B vitamins, vitamins A, C, E, and K.
Benefits of eating pistachios
The benefits of pistachios are numerous for the body, but they should be consumed in moderation due to their high calorie content. It is recommended to consume a handful a day, that is, about 30g without shell.
- Reduces blood sugar levels. The consumption of this nut, combined with carbohydrates, helps to keep blood sugar levels under control and contributes to reducing blood pressure, as it is a rich source of phosphorus that helps break down proteins into amino acids, according to a study in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
- Helps combat obesity and is an ally for those who want to lose weight. The high level of protein and fiber in pistachios increases the feeling of satiety. Pistachios are a great source of protein, making them a healthy and satisfying snack that can help you lose some extra weight.
- Improves intestinal health. Pistachios contain a large amount of dietary fiber that can strengthen the digestive tract and help maintain intestinal health.
- Associated with heart health benefits. According to the study in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, all nuts are associated with heart health benefits because they are a natural source of omega 3, antioxidants, potassium, and fiber. Therefore, regular consumption of pistachios is related to better vascular health in individuals.
- Prevents mental deterioration and helps maintain good vision. This nut is considered the only one that provides reasonable levels of lutein and carotenoids, two important antioxidants in protecting the eyes as you age. In addition, pistachios contain zeaxanthin, flavonoids, and beta-carotene, which are associated with lower rates of age-related mental decline. Consuming pistachios reduces the likelihood of developing cataracts or vision loss.
Now that you know all the benefits of this nut, you can enjoy a healthier snack and introduce it into your diet.
Source: LA VERDAD -Published on Thursday, February 26th, 2023